Thursday, March 10, 2016

Jill Schweber

Photo Courtesy Of Jill Schweber 

YOU GREW UP IN VANCOUVER AND NOW YOU LIVE IN TEL AVIV. WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE, AND IN BETWEEN?
I was born to two Mexican parents who immigrated to Vancouver. I came to Israel to live on a kibbutz straight after high school and fell in love with the happy hippie lifestyle. After my time there was up I went back to Vancouver to study photography knowing that I would move to Tel Aviv afterwards. I have been living here now for four and half years.

HOW DO THE TWO CITIES DIFFER FROM EACH ANOTHER?
Vancouver is beautiful and lush, but also grey and boring. Tel Aviv is bright, exciting and loud.

WHY PHOTOGRAPHY?
Growing up my Dad always had his video camera in hand and my Mom with her SLR film camera. So eager to capture each and every moment from a cold morning before school to vacations and birthdays. I have an obsession with nostalgia and the need to capture every aspect of my life.

WHICH ARTISTS INFLUENCED YOU?
I’m influenced by the tight knit community of the Tel Aviv art scene.

WHAT ELSE INSPIRES YOU AND WHAT HAS BEEN A SEMINAL EXPERIENCE?
Moving here was quite the experience because I had to immerse myself in a totally different culture. The essence of the old world is still very much rooted in the people of Israel. Specifically Tel Aviv because there is such a contrast between old and new. Physically we are so far from the western world yet, the younger generation so desperately wants to be a part of it.

WHAT THEMES DO YOU PURSUE (AND HOW MUCH RESEARCH IS REQUIRED)?
I start noticing a place or a person it/they catches my interests and the theme progresses organically from there. With out knowing it I have hundreds of images of a specific theme and then I look into it further and complete the project.

WHAT IS “TRANSCENDENCE” AS (OFTEN) PORTRAYED IN YOUR IMAGES?
“Transcendence” was the subject matter for an editorial that I shot in NY. I wanted to explore the the boundaries between gender, segmentation within fashion and our society. The model I shot, Jon Daily, had a very androgynous look and I really wanted to play with that.

WHAT ELSE DO YOU GET UP TO AND WHAT IS YOUR GENERAL OUTLOOK IN LIFE?
I really enjoy my life here in Tel Aviv. When I’m not taking photos I like to make embroidery, jewellery, bike, sit at my favourite coffee shops and go to the beach. I really believe that we should take advantage of our youth by exploring our goals and dreams while we have it because we have a lifetime ahead of us to work.

WHAT’S THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE YOU’VE BEEN GIVEN?
Portate mal” which translates to, “behave badly,” means: don’t be a goody two-shoes and get messy.

IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULDN’T DO WITHOUT?
A snuggly animal. I’m obsessed and totally in love with my cat, Yaba.

No comments:

Post a Comment